Sunday, October 11, 2026

Review: The Boy (2015)


A breakdown of The Boy - no, not the one you are thinking of

The Good:
  • David Morse and Rainn Wilson are both very good in this movie
  • This film has atmosphere for days, and it serves the movie well
  • There is some startling and effective imagery scattered throughout
  • The Boy has a pretty cool poster
The Bad:
  • While I understand why it is classified as horror, I would not consider it a horror movie
  • This movie is slow - apparently trying to be meditative and instead being soporific
  • Far too much of the plot doesn't really go anywhere interesting
  • Much of this film rests on lead child actor Jared Breeze, and his is not the most compelling performance
The Ugly:
  • Though I haven't seen it, I am willing to bet the 2016 movie of the same title is a better film
  • Several scenes are outright tedious and none of them are short
  • It's bad when your movie is a reasonable 105 minutes and still feels like it needed to be edited down
  • The poster, while cool, sells a very different movie then the one you get
  • I would only recommend this to someone who is either pretentious or I disliked
3 out of 10

No comments: